Saturday, November 24, 2012

Happy Place Part 3

Okay, so lets jump back into Glacier. I'm feeling that way today as it's cold outside and some more summer road trip pics would do the trick.

Here I was ascending the mountains in Glacier National Park from the west side. I negotiated my way around many hairpin turns on narrow roads that increased with steepness and I could hear the engine in my car laboring to keep up. I dropped into lower gears on the steep climbs and enjoyed the scenery at a slower pace with nobody behind me riding my back bumper as I realize even the rest of the traffic was so far back trying to keep up with the grades. Then the road leveled in some areas and again went back to grades somewhat like a roller coaster but it was well worth it for the scenery.



Still in the low areas on the west part of the "Going to the Sun Road" - however I'll soon be climbing in elevation shortly after the road curves off to the left behind those trees in the background.


This is still very green and lush in late August with no hints of draught to be found here. 



Moving through a tunnel and ascending. This is the road beginning to narrow, take on the turns and grades, it makes for a fun and challenging driving experience.

My first glimpse of Heaven's Peak from up at a higher elevation.



Still some snow pack in late August.

Panning the camera to the left of the previous frame looking west from where I just came, the road snakes around below paralleling the river. The mountains in the background consist of Mt. Oberlin, that prominent one near the center/left side of the frame. Clements Mountain, just behind Oberlin at the center of the frame and Mt. Cannon to the right/center side of the frame in the back ground.
Camera panning back to the right, Heaven's Peak on the right side of frame and Mt. Cannon on the left in the far background.

There's more to come of the Glacier National Park adventure but like all good things I'm not going to spoil it for you. It would be like eating the whole box of chocolates at once, too much sensory overload. Glacier National Park must be enjoyed in moderation piece by piece to truly savor it's awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment