Friday, November 16, 2012

The Foreward

A prelude.. every good story should have one. This is the beginning of a journey several years in the making with the backing of a couple of decades of life's adventures and stories. The launch of this blog is the result of people around me telling me I should write. These requests have come from those who have read essays and stories of mine. This comes from those who have asked me to write more after my stint of writing in a school newspaper a little over half a decade ago. As of more recent I've been on several road trips, outings, vacations and had the rare opportunity to cover a wildfire in person as I climbed adjacent hillsides into blankets of smoke to capture my own brand of reporting on the event. Readers requested I do something with my writing, they say I have a gift for it. To be totally honest it just comes natural to me but for whatever reason when I've done what comes naturally folks seem to want more, now I shall finally deliver and see if what I do captivates a greater world class audience.

I've wanted to be and do a great many things in life, I'd never have thought blogger would be one of them. When somebody suggested writing I'd jokingly ask "For what newspaper? Who'd be interested in me?" Don't get me wrong, I wanted to but even after testing the waters in journalism related fields in school I knew I'd have to be somebody in bigger circles to do that professionally. Not that I must limit myself to reporting and I won't but there was once a time when writer and photojournalist where on my "To do" list. Here in "Flyover Country" writing is probably not much of a real living and I suppose my options become more limited, but I'm not concerned and I'm just going for it. Then enter me playing the part of the paper boy- Yes, everybody does it at least once don't they: deliver papers at sometime in their life, my stint was in high school and college before moving onto better jobs. In that time I had a front row seat as I watched the local paper fold and addresses drop off the morning route lists like soldiers missing in a head count after each day's battle. There were several reasons for this at the time, the main driver however, is the world was changing and old fashioned papers were becoming obsolete courtesy of the world wide web. After letting this thought ferment in my head for several years and going through the ups and downs in life I've had time to reflect and meditate on this. I still value old fashioned papers, they offered much in their time and some are still around but it's more or less a novelty. This opens up new frontiers, a good friend once told me "Where an old door closes a new one opens." Taking this bit of knowledge to heart I look at this through optimistic lenses. Blogging is decent avenue for writing, perhaps my own form of being liberated from the structured confines of printed publications as grand as they are but sadly a dying breed.

Now after roaming around just being my own free agent doing my thing I came to realize the vast expanse and beauty of the places I tread and know with a blog I can do more than a writer bound to a paper. I'll write about nearly anything which crosses my mind that I think can enrich the life of the reader. I could contribute vibrant images of places I go as I'm somewhat an avid photographer. Then I realized I could bring what I see, to the world. Being that I live in Western North America, it would be a shame not to share some of the modern "Wild West" with the rest of the globe. I'm one who always wants to travel, see and learn new things. This may just be the motivation to write as it could involve some real foot work. It will be more than that however. I'm a bit of a gear head, there could be some cars. I appreciate music, film, and art. There may numerous items I discuss, if I can fathom it then the possibilities are near endless. I'm a observer of history. I like a good laugh and all around humor. I'm a slightly eclectic person so when reading this blog expect as listed and then some. It could get interesting, weird, awkward, humorous.. heck who knows, it's whatever you make of it. If this were I book I reckon I'm about to assume the role of some character, one whose bringing lively perspective to the mind's eye of the reader and placing them in the story of the world I wander.

Without further to do here I present the world as seen from behind my eyes. It's true they are blue, not generally the hue I'd have wished for but it looks like I have to live with them. Blue like the sky and no limitations.

Sincerely Yours,

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment