Thursday, December 13, 2012

Permian Phosphoria Caves Part 1

Lets discuss some spelunking, one of my favorite outdoor extreme sports hobbies. I've been fascinated by subterranean places since I was a kid. It was not until within the last year that I stumbled upon a cave in the woods near where I live, and explored it. That event began to re-ignite my fascination with venturing into the underground.

On a trip last summer, I found a jackpot of caves honeycombed all over a cliff side just off a high plains highway in Wyoming. I had been travelling all day from the south crossing the edge of the Red Desert in southern Wyoming, I trekked further north on a road that paralleled the Wind River. I'm glad chose this route. In this limestone formation is a cornucopia of tunnels, passages, and caves. These are small caves but were totally worth stopping for. They were an assortment of weathered rocks, the result of many years over time, subject to effects that made them a fascinating stone formation.




Crumbling at the base.


Hiking up into this large void in the rocks.

The ceiling of the void in the rocks.




Standing up here, the place felt very sheltered as but roomy with an excellent view. It was like nature's own version of a hilltop patio home with large windows.

The rock formation is conveniently located at a small rest area beside the road.

There were many tunnel entrances, I did not have time to explore them all. I do plan to go back and inspect the site more thoroughly for sure some day.


I theorize these were formed over the years as water trickled down from the prairie above the cliff ledge, worked it's way past the rocks and downhill to the river.




Crumbling ancient limestone.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment