Monday, December 31, 2012

So Long To 2012!

Well I'm back up here and ready to write some more exciting blog posts. My surgery went very well, much better than the last surgery I had before, and for this I'm thankful. I knew it would go alright but I'll admit I was a little apprehensive as the complications of the last surgery had left a sour taste in my mouth, just all around bad memories from waking up in the intensive care unit and staying in the hospital for longer than expected. Now I have the feeling of winter cabin fever but I guess it's better being down and out in the winter than summer. I've had summer surgeries and sometimes those are not pleasant recovering from being shut inside while the weather outside is warm and sunny. I ventured out a few days ago but came back, my insides felt odd and I was feeling a little short of breath. Much of this time recovering has been spent cleaning dried blood from myself, finding and removing tape, patches hospital bands and electrodes that are no longer needed. My free time is pretty simple, sleep, lounge around, stay warm, play music, browse the computer, work with the camera, take care of any indoor small jobs to get done when I feel like it, eat, drink juice, and take the pills I've been prescribed.

I've got a nice temporary early morning predawn ritual going now. I get up before sunrise, go to the kitchen to have refreshing drink, take my 3 medications and chase it down with an Ensure protein shake. The protein shake helps really disperse the meds throughout my body. I go back to the bedroom, light some incenses or candles (smoke 'em if I got 'em) check what's happening in the outside world on the computer do any work that can be done from there, (if you call it work). Then kick back feet up, back in a corner on the bed laying nestled in a giant pile of pillows. By this point I've either got a guitar out or a warm furry cat sprawled across my lap in a nice mellow strung out vicoden daze. It's relaxing but it's getting a little old. On that note I'll be excited for this first coming week of 2013, I'll get to do my follow up appointment with the surgeon. Maybe they will remove the gear that I can't remove yet, perhaps lift restrictions on what I can't be doing for now. I'm under restrictions to avoid infections and they don't want me doing something that will put stitches, tape, or large dried blood areas at risk. I guess I've already lost some blood so I need to take time to replenish that. So this sort of puts the kabosh on showering too much or getting out, I hate being housebound but I guess if there's a time of year for it, this is it. At least that means the less exposure to the dry winter conditions outside, less frigid unforgiving temps to deal with, and less chapped skin.

What all this means is my New Year's is very mellow and low key but that's no big deal. No drinking and mixing with medical drugs is not my thing anyway. Just some relaxing family time and alone time, the fondue pot has come out, fondue is good.

In reflection on a few notable events of 2012, I took an awesome road trip to Montana on my own, started my first blog, joined the ranks of Gibson guitar players, worked hard, had a career path change, received an IMDb credit from an indie movie I was in a couple years ago, began some serious spelunking/subterranean adventures. It was eventful, like every year I'm left with saying well "It could have been better" - I got to believe 2013 gets better. In 2012 I laid the ground work for a number of things, revamped my life organization skills, re-adjusted myself, revised what I use to get things done, became far more organized for the future, that was my big resolution last year and it's largely been realized. My resolution for this next year is to put myself back on track with what I've practiced, honed my skills on, anticipated, been trained for. I need to use these to the optimum while pursuing and completing some other endeavors I have going. For one, after this last surgery I'd say my medical challenges are now in the 90% or better completion range. My hope is in 2013 I'll put the finishing touches on the medical related needs, complete them and never look back. This will free up a large portion of my budget and open doors to many other possibilities. I'm thrilled. I know I still have much that I want to strive way harder than before and deliver more potential than before.

For those reading this post tonight, have a happy wonderful awesome fantastic new year and here's to 2013 bound to be way better than 2012. Remember, you can make it happen! It could be worse or better, I'm gonna strive to make it better every time I get the chance.

Be safe out there as this is a peak night of the year for traffic accidents. Drinking, sadly combined with too many people jumping behind the wheel who don't realize their limits leads to too much heartbreak. If your sober please, drive safely.. if your in doubt, sit it out! Get a designated driver if you can find one. Stay inside and crash at your party host's house or crash on a couch or wherever is safe, just don't crash in an automobile on the icy winter roads. I'm sure they'll understand. Be safe, have fun and have a Happy New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment